"If you plan for people and places, you get people and places" - Fred Kent.
We’re calling for safe, healthy, people-friendly, climate-friendly streets that are accessible to all of us, to give people more options to move around safely and enjoyably.
- Safe streets – with safe space to walk, cycle and cross on busy roads and quiet, low-traffic streets in neighbourhoods
- Healthy streets – where walking, wheeling, or riding is the natural choice for short journeys, children can play, get physical, and move easily outdoors and infrastructure is provided equitably
- People-friendly streets – with lots of plants and seating, and where motor traffic doesn’t dominate – especially in town centres
- Climate-friendly streets - that promotes the growth of zero-carbon shared mobility options so that all residents have suitable, sustainable, transport choices on their doorsteps.
- 75% of children walk, cycle, scoot, or take public transport to school daily
- Adopt 30km/h speeds on all local residential streets, town centres and city centres
- Build 1,000 kilometres of connected, safe, and direct routes per year for people riding bicycles and micromobility
- Improve and expand beautiful streetsscapes for local business
- Build 2,560 pedestrian crossings per year
The Better Streets coalition
We will achieve our vision by building a strong coalition to amplify the many dispersed voices into a strong collective voice for change.